Thursday 14 August 2014

Things Korean People Say and Other Racism

I always see videos or articles online that are titled something like “stupid things white people say” or “if Asians said the things white people say” and they kind of seem one sided. There are white people that ask silly questions but I think the vast majority of these people aren’t asking questions to offend, they are curious about other people and cultures. But these mildly offensive misjudgements do not just hail from white people, they are global. Having spent some time in Korea these are some of the occasions I have noticed that would probably be considered inappropriate, in the UK at least.

“That’s too spicy for you…”

I hear this one all the time, whether it’s from people that I’m dining with or the waiter, Asians are concerned about the spice of my meal choice. I like spicy food, nothing too extreme so that it becomes more of an endurance that enjoyable but spice is good. Koreans throw this one out there like Korean food is the equivalent of fire eating, it’s not. It becomes annoying very quickly and when you’ve heard it from the waiter 100 times you start to think “just bring the fucking food out.”


“White teachers are good for business…”

I work as an English teacher (as most foreigners do in Korea), and during a staff meeting our director was very honest with the recruitment of the teachers at our school. He said that Koreans don’t want to learn English from non-white foreigners, I was stunned into silence. He went as far as saying “we have 3 white teachers, that’s good for business”. Just wow.

Koreans are unintentionally rude

My classes start at 7am from Monday to Friday, hardly my favourite time of the day. Often when I come in at that time some student will feel the need to express how shit I look. “Teacher, you look tired today”. I am tired, I don’t need reminding.

Upon meeting one of my girlfriend's friends, he was kind enough to buy me a gift. I was truly moved, I had never met him before but he was generous to think of giving me a gift. I unwrapped it (oh yeah, he wrapped it!) and it was deodorant and sun cream. I looked a little puzzled as I turned to him and said "thank you". He explained that white people burn easily and they smell bad when they sweat. Thanks, I suppose. 

Another example of this came from another teacher I know. He is a bit larger than average and his size provoked a conversation with his director. The boss told him that he should seek the help of the other foreign teacher as he studied Physical Education at university. I have been told that Koreans aren’t trying to be rude, they apparently feel the need to point out the obvious so that you can address the issue.

You’re British? Alright, guvna!

“I love The Beatles.”
Great, so does everyone.
“Do you know the Queen?”
No.
“What about David Beckham?”
No.
“Do you eat fish and chips?”
Occasionally.

These silly questions are the same as asking Chinese people “Are you good at kung fu?” or to black people “What’s your favourite food, after fried chicken?”  

Another one is “I hear English food is really bad, how bad is it?” Well, food is subjective. Some people will like it others won’t. If you ask me my personal opinion I would say English food is delicious, but then I’m biased.

These aren’t limited to Koreans, I get this from anyone not from the United Kingdom.

A black man doing martial arts. See, we're all equal.

Can you change your accent?

This is the only one that actually offended me. “I can’t understand you, can you speak with an American accent?” No, and fuck you. I’m English, so I will speak with an English accent. Koreans need to realise that English is not limited to American English. I will spell colour with a U and I won’t change my accent. English is used by so many different nationalities, they have different language rules and none of them are wrong. English used by the British is different to the Americans, and they are different to the Australians. They use different words, different slang, and different spelling. Unless you’re Canadian and you have multiple correct spellings. Grey or gray? Come on Canada, pick a side!

Is it OK for a foreigner to date a Korean?

I asked this question to some of my adult students and they all united in agreement. The said “It’s OK for a foreigner to date a Korean if the foreigner is from a more developed country than Korea”. Sometimes it’s best to avoid these. Next question.

Koreans are racist against Koreans

Koreans do things that would cause an uproar if the same was done by the English in England. Often at special events; festivals, night clubs, and the like, Koreans will have two different prices for different people. The different people being Korean nationals and foreigners. I have been in these situations when going into a night club where my Korean friends will have to pay an entrance fee and I stroll in for FREE! If that was done in the UK The Sun and The Daily Mail would have a field day. I think I heard the reason for this is to encourage tourism but does offering a ₩10,000 (£6) discount really make that much of a difference?

This foreigner discount is also very shady as I hear that the concession usually only applies to white foreigners. That’s racist racism.

Whiteys

My girlfriend refers to white people as "whiteys". Some white people might consider this an offensive term but I would think most whiteys wouldn't be bothered if that's how the race of white people are known. I tried my utmost to explain that her abbreviation of 'white people' should not be applied to 'black people'.

OK, they're not wrong on this one

As I'm white all Koreans assume that I can't speak Korean, I mean they're correct but they're wrong to think that. When you walk down the street, no one hands you flyers, no one stops you to get you to sign up to make a charitable donation, no one talks to you because everyone assumes you can't speak the lingo. 

In the UK, equal rights and anti-discrimination are drilled into you, and although I love having no one bother me as I walk carefree through the streets of Korea I can't help but feel I'm being discriminated for the way I look. Maybe I can't support my argument very well here but I know of foreigners who can speak Korean and they get treated the same way. In contrast, I know of people of Asian descent here in Korea who cannot speak Korean. When they are approached by Korean speakers it takes them a while to process that a Korean looking person can't speak Korean.

Maybe I shouldn't worry and just enjoy this one.



While white people will say silly things it is universal from my experience. People just want to know about you and the different ways you have. Most people should engage their brain before they speak though.