Sunday 25 September 2016

Seoul Again

I made a flying visit back home long enough to see my nearest and dearest before I headed back to Seoul, this time on holiday. 8 days over Chuseok to show Wes around my beloved city.

My flight was via Delhi and avid readers of this blog will know my thoughts on that place already. Despite how I feel India is never boring. I had a 3 hour layover and did what everyone does, headed for the bar. I got chatting to an Australian guy, mid-40s with a long beard. He had just been travelling Europe on a motorbike and we drank and shared stories. He was an interesting guy. Then came a question out of the blue. “What do you think of aliens?” This is why I don’t talk to strangers. He went on to explain how there is no God, but the earth is alive and controls everything and that aliens exist among us much like the plot of the movie Men In Black. Why are the weirdest ones in India?

In Seoul and we managed to see a lot. Gwangjang Market, a baseball game, a dog café, Gyeongbuk Palace, Myeongdong, the War Museum, my old stomping ground of Kondae, and the most boring goalless draw ever played.






The only trouble with visiting over the holidays was that a few places were closed.



The highlight, other than seeing a few faces, was the DMZ tour. While there it was kicking off. I’m not sure what the North Koreans were doing, but they were in a stand-off with the South Koreans. We were also being watched by someone. After having a look around the JSA buildings we weren’t allowed to continue the tour due to safety reasons.


Wes and I either side of the border.
The North and South Koreans in stand off.

Our dreamy US soldier tour guide.
And before I knew it it was all over. Two-and-a-half years in Korea and I’m out. When I boarded by flight back in December 2013 to move there I thought I was making a terrible mistake and the first Google search I made there was “how to get out of a contract in Korea”. Having done it I can say it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.


On to the next adventure Hanoi…