Thursday 1 May 2014

The Melee in Hongdae - Street Fighting, Lanterns, and Suwon

I’m starting to notice a bit of a recurring theme with the stories I have been writing on this blog. It seems rather regular that a story starts with “We were drinking in a park when… “ and this story is no different.

It was Friday night and through a friend of a friend we were drinking with a group of maybe ten French guys. Generally, the relationship between Britain and France is antagonistic, but after a few drinks with these guys I was having a great night. An easy icebreaker between European males is to talk football, they supported Lille and Arsenal is basically French so we had a lot to talk about. After a few drinks I started to realise that I share many similarities with the stereotypical frog. For instance; French people are rude and obnoxious, and I’m rude and obnoxious. French people rarely shave, and I rarely shave. The French are known for being great lovers, and I’m… OK I’m not that similar to them. Anyway, we were drinking in Hongdae park when a Korean bloke approached us and he was asking us if we wanted to fight him. It turned out that this guy is a professional boxer and was giving people the opportunity to pay him to fight him. So you pay him to get your arse kicked. You know what, I’m good. I don’t know if this guy was training for a fight and wanted some different competition, or maybe he was just after an ego boost but he was not short of opponents, one being one of the French guys who was out with us. He was drunk which made the fight all the easier for the sober professional. There was some basic equipment, gloves, headgear, and a bloke with a smart phone to time the rounds so you know it’s legit. There was also a sign tied to a tree which explained the rules.


Here is some of round 1 (notice the drunk guy with the makgeolli).


Some of round 2.


Unfortunately I ran out of memory to capture round 3 but it was a blood bath. The boxer didn’t want to fight the third round stating that he’d batter him, which inevitably happened but the French guy was persistent (I know, a French guy who wants to fight – that’s unheard of!). The fight finally finished and the French guy was covered in blood and his face was black and blue. The boxer finished the fight a little sweatier than before. Was it worth it? Definitely not.

We continued drinking in Hongdae but the drama stopped there.

The following day we went to the Lotus Lantern Festival which was spread out across Seoul. We checked out a few of the Buddhist Temples (Bongeunsa and Jogyesa) and watched the parade come through Dongdaemun. It was pretty cool. I mean, essentially it’s only fancy origami with a couple of candles but impressive all the same.





We had our term break this week, a couple of days off during the week. We went down to Suwon to see Rabel and to explore Suwon. It was great we walked around the city and walked the length of the fortress walls. A great day of sightseeing.






After a full day of sightseeing we rounded the day off with a Noraebang (karaoke singing room). I tolerate these places and I’m often forced to sing even when I don’t want to, I went along with the guys this time but made it clear that I was coming for the beer. Very soon into it while the guys were singing I got a really strange impulse… to sing! This had never happened before. I sang an Arctic Monkeys song (poorly) and I really enjoyed it! Before I could gather my thoughts I was lining up another and by the end of the night I had sung Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Spice Girls, Shaggy, and Frozen (when in Korea, do as the Koreans do). I thoroughly enjoyed the karaoke and I never thought that would happen in my lifetime.

Back at work today but we’ve got another long weekend ahead of us. I could really get used to these two-and-a-half day working weeks.