Monday 24 March 2014

Losing Feels Worse than Winning Feels Good

Anyone that’s in the know has found out that Josh has gone home. For his own personal reasons he has decided to bring his Korean adventure to an end and head home back to Bedford. This was strange for me, since arriving in Korea I was welcomed by Josh, James, and Susie and settled into life very quickly. A little over 3 months later and James and Josh have both departed, as it happened Susie was busy this weekend so I had my first weekend without any of them. I felt like Heather Mills, something was missing.

In all honesty I didn’t think Josh would go although maybe it’s a good thing that he’s gone. In the absence of James and Josh I might learn some more Korean and it’s likely I’ll meet some new (hopefully more interesting) friends. C’est la vie. “I hope you ready for the next episode. Heyyeyyeyay!...”

Anyway, I went to watch White Lies with Angie during the week. They’re an English rock band but I’d never heard of them. We arrived at the venue and they didn’t serve beer. Yeah that’s right, they didn’t have beer at a music gig, mental. Standing in the crowd I felt very old. I’m only 24 but felt 44. I had come straight from work so I was dressed in work attire. I looked at the young people around me and they were wearing vests and baseball caps backwards and I was dressed like a teacher, jumper over the shirt look. I didn’t know any of the songs. I was holding both of our coats, and as my sober mind wandered I started to look around at the venue and I had the most boring thought ever known to man; “isn’t the brickwork lovely?” I mean the brickwork was delightful, but Christ! Could I get any more boring?


Watching a gig in Korea was different to any that I have been to back in the UK. No beer, no moshing, no cups of piss being thrown. If there was a suggestions box at the venue I’d have suggested “more piss, please.” One other thing that annoyed me about the gig was the bassist. He was sweating throughout the gig but he never removed his beanie hat, I needed to have a word with him. Having said all of that, the band weren’t bad and I had a good time.

We took a trip to Gyeongbokgung Palace on Saturday and it was very interesting. I went with Karl and managed to time it well enough to get to the palace for the English guided tour, we had 20 minutes to kill but our boredom took over. We went off exploring around the palace grounds on our own. I managed to piece it all together anyway, that building was the king’s throne room, that one was his bedroom with en suite, that was his walk-in wardrobe, that one was his games room, and that one was his kitchen with adjacent conservatory. A nice place, I wouldn’t buy it though, too many tourists and with a place that big people would be expecting to stay over all the time.



We saw the changing of the guards, a bit of a drawn out occasion.


The guard were dressed in traditional apparel, they went a little far with the dodgy stick on beards though.


After we went to Itaewon to a sports bar, a big weekend of football for both Karl and I. Chelsea vs. Arsenal and Derby vs. Nottingham Forest. Unsurprisingly the bar opted for the Chelsea vs. Arsenal game. To be honest, it didn’t really matter which game they put on, both teams got hammered. This was another game that I’ve watched Arsenal lose since leaving the UK. I noticed this pattern a few weeks back, I haven’t seen Arsenal win a game live on TV since leaving the UK back in November.

This is a list of Arsenal games I’ve watched live since leaving the UK:

11th December, 2013 – Napoli 2-0 Arsenal
14th December, 2013 – Man City 6-3 Arsenal
23rd December, 2013 – Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea
8th February, 2014 – Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal
12th February, 2014 – Arsenal 0-0 Man Utd
19th February, 2014 – Arsenal 0-2 Bayern Munich
8th March, 2014 – Arsenal 4-1 Everton*
22nd March, 2014 – Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal

* I watched the first 60 minutes of the game before leaving the pub while the score was 1-1.

The best 2 results I’ve seen have been two 0-0 draws. A depressing 4 months, I can tell you! I even went to “support” Seoul FC in their opening game of the new season and guess what? They lost as well!

8th March, 2014 – Seoul FC 0-1 Jeonnam Dragons

I’m hoping that the next few Arsenal games are an improvement; we’ve got an important cup game coming up soon. Maybe I shouldn’t watch it? Probably for the best.